Friday, April 1, 2011

Living my fifth year

Years ago my neighbor introduced me to her birthday ritual:  she claimed a birthday MONTH.  In other words where the rest of us were merely getting a day to call our own, she latched on to the entire month of her birth as hers to celebrate.  I thought this approach was genius and have adopted it for my own.  Likewise the whole cancer survival anniversary.  Although its difficult to say when I was officially c-f, I have thought of myself that way since the surgeon cut that meatball looking piece of confused flesh out of me.  So, there are many many anniversaries for me to celebrate this year - five years since diagnosis, five years since finishing chemo, five years of growing my hair... and rather than picking one single day, I am celebrating the whole year.  And then I think I'll just keep right on celebrating.  I'll be like the person who forever celebrates their "29th" birthday.  Except that I'll be partying to the tune of five years cancer free.  According to the doctors, five years = cured.  And cured I am.  (makes me sound like a ham, sam i am :) ).

1 comment:

  1. Nice and comforting.

    Carry on Kristy. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete